Monday, June 25, 2012

The Brooklyn Star

After a long day, we finally go to brunch at The Brooklyn Star, a nice spacious place in North Williamsburg.

Set on the corner of a relatively nice street, its no fuss decor of wooden tables, stools, benches and booths was quite nice to look at.

Everyone's just super friendly and super sweet from the bartenders who make a really awesome drink of alcoholic sweet tea to the wait staff and hostesses.

We opted not to sit at the bench tables in the center because, well, they were backless benches! A few sweet teas and you'll likely tumble over.

So I was perusing their brunch menu and lo and behold, at the bottom of it, we were told about how the lovely meat was gotten by the restaurant...as well as the vegetables. Now, don't get me wrong but I'm an omnivore - there is no such thing as a vegan or vegetarian in my house. But I only want to know that the animals were humanely raised and dispatched humanely - but not by a five point exploding heart punch. REALLY!!
menu - look at the bottom

I got the same sweet tea as Barb - just not as sweet - but it was refreshing and delicious...not as good as perhaps a pisco sour or a Sofrito mojito but very very good.

Sweet Alchy Tea - yum
As there is no substitution or anything of the sort - they appear to buy their meat in quarters so the wing and breast come together, the thigh and leg come together - which means if you eat dark meat (I don't), then you're actually getting a hefty serving of fried half chicken over waffle and a large half of a grapefruit! Totally overstuffing the average eater, of course...and not Adam Richman, I think.

We both do not eat dark meat so we opted to leave off the dark meat. This way they can serve that to other folks and we're not wasting food. But waste we did. For this is just too much food for one. I forgot to take an aftermath photo but my plate was devastated - Barb had leftovers for home. I did my best to demolish it all but woefully did not finish off the waffle or grapefruit.

Giant waffle, Grapefruit and Chicken.
So this picture does not do the food justice. It was just as big as anything - the grapefruit was huge! It had a coat of glazed sugar atop and actually I was only eating just a tiny wedge. It was quite delish but my, what a big fruit.

The waffle was plain batter and tasty. I used my butter all over it and poured at least 2 tablespoons of syrup over the thing. I managed to eat about 3/4 of this thing. I actually liked the citrus-infused syrup - at least I hope it was deliberately citrusy but if not...something was wrong. Barb hated it.

The chicken was crispy, moist, and tender. However it was quite fatty. Pies & Thighs still rules for me - crispy without fat.

This is a great place to gather - I would like to try their dinners sometime, however and more than a few of their beers. ;)

Brooklyn Star on Urbanspoon

The Brooklyn Star
593 Lorimer Street
Brooklyn, NY 11211
tel. 718.599.9899
Hours:
Brunch /
Sat & Sun
12 pm to 4 pm
Dinner /
Mon - Fri
5:00 pm to 2 am
Sat & Sun
6:00 pm to 2 am
Reservations accepted 8 or more

No comments:

Post a Comment