Friday, May 21, 2010

Cinco de Mayo @ Agozar's

I had not planned on going out for Cinco de Mayo but I decided to at the last minute. So that day, after work, I met up with Babs @ 35th and 1st for a walk up to the Katwalk ( I should say west because the Katwalk is on 35th and 5th.)

We went to fellow lush – Michelle’s Cinco de Mayo event @ the Katwalk and would be meeting her there.

We arrived early, and there was a girl who looked just like Michelle there. Except it was of course, not Michelle but her sister! So we had special which was none too special – some disgusting drink. It was so bad, I did not care to memorize the name! The chips and salsa were good – the salsa had a nice kick to it.

But when Barb got up – there was gum…on her black skirt. The employees were not really cool – the manager either. They did not offer anything but ice to try to get it out. Well, it did but not all so she was fuming. Michelle took pictures and the manager rushed over and told Barb that Katwalk will pick up the tab for dry cleaning. After that, Barb was not in a good mood so we decided to hit up the Cinco de Mayo event @ Agozar’s.

It was crowded for a Wednesday but then again, it was Cinco de Mayo!!!

We had about a 10 minute wait even though the lovely hostesses told us 20 minutes. We ended up walking around block to the other door (Agozar’s has this cool L shape space). We got seated and we ordered drinks. Being Cinco de Mayo, we were able to get the two for one specials. So – we had Mojitos! Sorry, I didn’t take pictures. Well, I got a mojito the 2nd time and it was so good. The first drink was not so good. I think it was a coconut concoction that made me think of diesel fuel.

And because we were so hungry, I didn’t get a picture of the empanaditas or camarones al ajillo. :P

But here is the mystery dish – Mystery Appetizer. It tasted yummy – fried bits of something delicious but then fried foods almost always tasted good!

Babs ordered her special item: Vaca Frita which was a fried shredded beef. It was as crispy as it looked and served over plantains.

I ordered the Agozar’s version of arroz con pollo – Arroz con pollo, which I must admit I was not too fond of. It was tasty – seasoned lightly with nice pieces of chicken but it just didn’t have that oomph that I expect from this dish – especially after having it elsewhere like the cheaper Rivington restaurant.

It was a good Cinco de Mayo anyway. And we got two necklaces out of it. Score! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment