Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Shanghai Cafe - Soup Dumplings!

A few Sundays ago, I stayed @ my friends’ place in the city. Sunday, Irma wanted to get a facial so we went to Avani. Epic fail! They were fully booked that afternoon so Irma and Haydee booked two facials for the following weekend. Then we were hungry so we went to find food.

I had a craving for soup dumplings so we ended up going to Shanghai Cafe – after I assured Haydee, one of the world’s pickiest eaters, that there would be some edibles for her and her mother besides my soup dumplings.

So we got to sit in the wooden booths – which if you know about Asian cafes/restaurants is a good thing because the tables are way too small to hold any amount of food with room to eat. So we got our ‘large’ table and rang up the order:

2 orders of soup dumpings – #2 (pork only – the crab one is just not as good)
1 order of fried dumpling
1 order of fried rice

I think that was it. I’m not 100% sure. :P

Anyway, I made Irma and Haydee try the soup dumplings and they actually LIKED it. It was like a miracle.

For those who have never eaten soup dumpling before, you simply must go and eat it. Like soon. Like right now.

A soup dumpling is just what it sounds like – a soft doughy casing with a juicy soup center around a lump of delicious pork minced with vegetables etc steamed in a bamboo case over cabbage leaves. The key is not to burn your mouth as you bite into this juicy morsel or dribble soup over yourself.

Soup Dumplings!

Yummy. I love soup dumplings!!! :P And that’s that.

Shanghai Cafe
100 Mott Street
New York, NY 10013
212.966.3988

No comments:

Post a Comment