Friday, May 21, 2010

Fuse @ 34th & 2nd Ave - Thai & Japanese

For lunch last Wednesday, we decided to hit up this place called Fuse, located between 34th and 35th Street, on 2nd Ave. It was a newly opened place which I had never been to but a few coworkers had and they loved the pad thai. When I saw that they had RAMEN, I knew we had to go there.

Ramen must be one of the best noodle dishes ever invented. Real ramen is made with fresh noodles, in a delicious broth soup – usually soy based or miso based. However, miso is usually an iffy thing because it is rather difficult to get a good miso soup whereas soy is a simpler base.

The place reminded me of Cafe Asean in decor with its rough whitewashed exposed brick side and cheaper tables and chairs were alright. As usual, my complaint lies with the small tables that Asian restaurants prefer.

My coworker, Rania, ordered the pad thai.
Pad Thai
This pad thai she liked as it wasn’t too fishy – which is caused by flavoring it with the traditional anchovy sauce – a staple in SE Asian Cooking. She did pick out all the chicken and it might be that she just didn’t like the chicken in the noodles as she is indeed very picky about her meat.

My other coworker, David and I both had the ramen.
Ramen!
Okay…to be perfectly honest, I would not have the ramen again. There is something to be said about authentic ramen and inauthentic, which this appeared to be. The soup was not astounding and did not beg for me to slurp the noodles up rapidly or drink up the whole bowl of it. The noodles were clearly not freshly made. The naruto like fish cakes were bland at best. The pork pieces were fatty (just like Japanese ones) but the taste was not as divine as the ones I had in Japan.

There was just a glimmer of hope that we would get a decent ramen near my workplace but it turned into epic fail.

Fuse Japanese Thai
625 2nd Ave
New York,NY 10016
212.213.3883

No comments:

Post a Comment