Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Chimu...Best Peruvian ever???

So a while back, I wanted to go to Otafuku but didn't make it. However, Japan week started and I was able to go with Barb! It wasn't much but I spied Otafuku and yes, I bought takoyaki! o(^▽^)o
Takoyaki under Orange lights
It was so good and reminded me of Osaka!!! I apologize for the pic but the whole place was sooo orangey! It is a delicious ball of flour with octopus inside. Simply scrumptious!

After the octoball goodness, Barb said she was hungry and something was chanting Chimu at her so we went. (It wasn't me, I swear. Umm, yeah...Anyways.)

Chimu was already pretty packed when we got there at about 7pm. However, there were available seats and we got to sit away from a bulk of the crowd and the door.

The host was attentive as was the waiter. We got a full rundown and all of our questions were answered graciously.
Fried Corn Kernels - no flash so the color is not that great.
They automatically place their green sauce on the table. They also served fried corn kernels, salted. The fried corn was addictive and I am not sure if it was hunger or the fried saltiness of it. It was good though. 

The waiter recommended a drink not on the menu, Pisco Sour, which is made from the national Peruvian drink called Pisco, lime, syrup, egg whites and bitters. It tastes not unlike a margarita but somehow, better.
Pisco Sour
We decided to split the empanadas - one beef and one chicken.  They all look the same outside. ;)  What put this empanada over the edge was the garlic oil sauce they served with it. It tasted like something my mom makes or that a chinese place would serve with plain chicken. It really made the empanada stand out.
Empanada x 2
 The empanadas were crispy outside, filling was seasoned just right and the garlic sauce put it over the edge. It's not really a sauce but minced garlic in oil. But it was *delicious*.
Chicken on left, Beef on right. Both yummy
I ordered the regular roast chicken with rice and beans. Now, their roast chicken itself was not as yummy as their Aji Amarillo sauce. I am not saying it is bad but Pio Pio's chicken is tasty as is whereas the pieces I got weren't as tasty at Chimu's. 
Roast Chicken
The rice also was not very tasty. I really had to use the Aji Amarillo sauce which is *the best* in the city. Spectacular - right amount of heat versus tastiness.I would love to have their sauce...and other dishes when I return. :)
Rice + Beans
And here is the full dish, together one a single plate - because the table was small and we needed the space!!!
Voila - entire dish on one plate!
And just so, Barb took her time and got the Vallarin Verde With Skirt Steak, which is a basil pasta with skirt steak. The steak was lightly seasoned and cooked well. She asked for the garlic oil and poured it over the pasta. Then took the left overs home.

Vallerin verde with skirt steak and roasted potato

Of course, gluttony does not end here but finished off with dessert.

Special dessert - pumpkin fritters in brandy sauce...served only Friday, Sat, and Sunday
 Pumpkin fritters were delightful - I took the bulk home for my parents to consume and they loved it.

But our favorite was definitely the dulce de leche crepe. The crepe is served with a light fresh whipped cream which is very delicious. It was one of the most delicious items I had ever eaten. Truly delicious.

Most awesome dulce de leche crepes
This place is now a favorite and we will be back for more...

Chimu
482 Union Ave, between Conseleyea & Skillman Streets)
Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY 11211
tel. (718) 349-1208
Hours:
Mon - Sun, 10 am - 11 pm 


Chimu on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment