Monday, July 26, 2010

Brunch near...Crunch - yes...but it's true...



A few weeks back - I would even venture to say - about a month or so ago - Barb and I, after a less than intense work-out at Crunch by Astor Place, decided we wanted brunch - or rather, I stated that I was absolutely hungry and was in the mood for a big lumberjack breakfast. And Barb was like...now you just put me in the mood for pancakes...

After wandering aimlessly and fruitlessly, for there were no 24 hour brunch places by the University, we ventured towards Bowery. 

Lo and behold, Barb sees across the street - a sign - a sign that said Brunch! 

As we looked at it, we realized how familiar this place was - how very very familiar. And it turns out, that many years ago, we went to Agozar's for Rania's birthday dinner and ended up at this very spot for an after dinner drink. 

We went inside and Barb gives the host the grilling - do you have pancakes, does it come without the mixed berries, etc. After he checked and we had our assurances that the berries can be left out, we were seated - opting for the coolness of the indoors with the living bamboo plants - rather than the outside, where humidity and heat awaited.

No one laughed at our gym attire or my lovely Chuck t-shirt. A plus!

Now for the name - I HAVE NO IDEA - it is about a block or two from Agozars! Somehow I must find its name and address...

Okay, moving on to the food - 

We ordered drinks - Mimosa and bellini first. They had complementary banana nut bread - delicious!

After some deliberation, Barb ordered her mixed berries and nuts pancakes without the mixed berries and without  most of the nuts...while I changed my mind and went for the french toast with maple syrup...

Please do not drool over your keyboard...lol....
Fluffy Pancakes without the berries and a few nuts...


French Toast with fruit

The maple syrup came in a little log cabin glass carafe and was excellent over the French Toast, which was nicely executed...good challah bread with a layer of strawberries in between the two slices... Simply good - maybe not good for me but it was a tasty bit of food. :)

I can't vouch for Barb's pancakes but they looked nice and fluffy and I would say it was also very good.

Somewhere near Bowery - a block or two from Agozar's. My nameless delicious brunch. :)

Updated: No longer Nameless:
Bowery Bar & Grill
40 E. 4th Street
New York, NY 10003
212.475.2220

I also saw some bad reviews but actually, our experience was very far from bad. The waiter was attentive as was the host. We were able to get our check not long after we asked for it and we had refills of water almost as soon as we took a sip.

No comments:

Post a Comment