Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Really old posting about Big Wong's from a few months ago...


A few months ago, my mother dragged me out to C-town and I don't like C-Town. Yes, I'm Asian and I don't LIKE C-town - except for 100 Mott Street lol and Nyonya!

Anyway, I told her I would treat her to lunch if we went to Shanghai Cafe because I absolutely LOVE their soup dumplings...I need to bring my camera in sometime to take nicer photos of their food. So far, everything I'd ever tasted from them has been good.

I have to stop now because...this isn't about 100 Mott Street's most awesome soup dumplings but about Big Wong's.

So my mother says no and I'm like pissed because it was hot out and I wanted my bubble tea and soup dumplings. And yes, I'll still act like a bratty kid...because well, she's MY mom and I can..lol and ummm yeah.

We shop a bit more and then she says she is hungry so she steers us to this hole in the wall called Big Wong's.

This is a typical chinese restaurant - poor wait service, the abrupt mannerisms, etc - which I absolutely hate and will only deal with if the food was like mind-blowing spectacular...(Shanghai Cafe - is one of few places I would deal with if it was like that but they are usually nice.)

Well, they seat us at a table in the back - it was two tables put together in case of foursomes but I am sure the legal fire-hazard limit has been surpassed a long time ago. As usual in Asian restaurants as these, the tables could barely fit one person's food, let alone two.

I discover the menu they gave us was not the lunch menu for all the prices were like $20 and $15 dishes - I am sure for the tourists who happen to wander in. They only had the one menu and the other table had it. We got it finally and was able to look at the choices.

We had to fight for the attention of the wait staff...and this is just to order. And to get water? Puh-lease...

Anyway, I decided on the roasted pork wonton soup with noodles and mom got the duck noodle soup.

So what they do is make wontons, cook it, then add it to the noodles with soup. They cut up roasted pork (the kind you see hanging in the store windows) and put that on top. Voila.

This is not the best photo as I used my camera phone and it looked fine to me in there but turned out blurry. Oh well...

Blurry photo of roasted pork wonton noodle soup
It actually tasted fine. Not great but pretty good. On a positive note, the wontons were almost as good as my mother's.

I could not finish it all and just forgot about most of the noodles - eating most of the wontons. I gave leftover pork to my mom...as she doesn't like paying for food and then having leftovers...

Mom seemed to like her roasted duck - for a time, I didn't eat it because ducks mate for life and that was once a partner to another duck, you know. Now I just don't eat it because it is really just fat.

Roasted duck with noodles in soup
I would not go out of my way to come here - not when soup dumplings are so close by but it was decent - lunch was about $11 without tip. Mom, of course, left just $2. But I don't feel that bad because the table next to us had about 5 dishes and just left $2.

Big Wong King Restaurant
67 Mott Street
New York, NY 10013-4838
(212) 964-0540

No comments:

Post a Comment