Thursday, January 19, 2012

Mangu - Dominican food?

I was actually trying to get tres leches cake when I tried Mangu. They only charged $3 for theirs while Havana Central wanted $7. Portion difference? Or that Havana makes it and Mangu doesn't?
I would not know because when I placed my order, I was called and told they didn't receive their desserts yet so maybe Mangu doesn't make much on on site. 

After perusing the menu, I decided to try their pigeon peas and white rice, their 1/4 rotisserie chicken - white only of course, and the cassava fritters. 
So, prior to sending out my order, they called and told me they didn't receive their desserts yet - so disappointed! But they offered to substitute equal value items. I felt I compelled to try their empanadas so I asked for one beef and one chicken empanada.

First the main lunch - an overwhelming array of at least 8 servings of rice and pigeon peas. I used to know someone who made really good arroz con gandules and this, sorry, Mangu, was not good. It was rather bland and not at all tasty. I guess I will hunt for the perfect one elsewhere.

Chicken, Fritters and Pigeon Peas
The rotisserie chicken had a tasty skin, moist meat but it was not as good as Pio Pio. I think I must say the Peruvian style was much better. And that brings us to the sauce. It was also much better at Pio Pio. This wasn't spicy and had a lot of I believe, cilantro, which is not one of my favorite herbs, though I tolerate it.
Green Sauce
And finally the accompaniment of the cassava fritter. This is by far, my most favorite part of the plate. It was a crispy fried goodness - starchy and chock full of badness. Tasted good though!

Up close with the Cassava Fritter
Now for the empanadas! I am a self professed empanada fan. Who doesn't like fried dough filled with meat and other yummy goodness?


Beef and Chicken Empanada
These were crispy. The beef was a bit more to my taste than the chicken. I think it's because the chicken was mixed with something else - maybe a veggie? but it was just not as good as others that I have had.


I think Mangu might have some good authentic dishes but thus far, I have not been impressed. I will also say that they should get dessert in early too!

I will probably give them another go for the pernil as that is also one of the dishes I like. Oh and their website sucks so I would just buy through seamless.com.

Mangu Dominican Kitchen
158 E 45 St
Manhattan, NY 10017
tel. 212.905.0490
Hours:
Mon-Fri: 7 am - 7 pm
Sat: 7 am - 4 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment