Monday, January 23, 2012

Brunch at Gravy's

When I finally made it into the city - yes, I have to move from nasty old Queens...I was really looking forward to Gravy, which KA made sound so good...

Gravy

Gravy is tucked away on 21st Street - It's got lovely facade, high ceilings, nice bar and lounge. The chairs leave a little something to be desired and as with all restaurants - I don't mind coat check - but I have a bag and it would be nice if *someday*, someone would design the tables and booths with the mindset that *some* of us carry handbags. Just sayin'.

The hostess was a great gal - we ran late - mostly me - yes I do know I need to move out of Queens. Believe me...I really do. It took me 2 hours to get in. Damn you, MTA.

So we got our table and even got to switch to the more comfortable corner booth. :)

We got the brunch menu - with the liquid brunch menu. After perusing the drinks, we both chose the I-10, which was made of Firefly sweet tea vodka and orange juice. I actually liked this. I might want to get that vodka. :)
I-10 -yum
I decided to get the grilled ham steak and eggs - it's like a thicker slice of canadian bacon, grilled, scrambled eggs with gravy and honeyed grits. The honey grits were really good. The rest was ok - ham was tasty but the scrambled eggs didn't smell like eggs and were bland. The gravy was the worse part of the whole plate. It was sweet and didn't compliment the food at all.

Grilled Ham Steak and Eggs
Barb ordered the corn meal encrusted shrimp po'boy. There was not much shrimp and all the remoulade was on one side of the sandwich. The fries were nothing special either. I think that sometimes you do need to go for the authentic - if you can't find the chef in NYC, then Nawlins is where to go for po'boys.
Shrimp Po'boy
We decided after the food arrived that 'new' meant small portions and fake southern food so we opted to try the grits on the side for Barb and the biscuit and gravy for me.

The grits were yummy. Instead of Gravy, they should've named themselves grits. The best thing on their menu are the grits. It's so good!!
Grits
The biscuit was not flaky or raised. It came with a sausage that seemed to be made with organ meat. It was very sandy texture and I suspect it was lung or something. Maybe liver. It was alright - not so seasoned. The gravy once again - tangy mess. I don't like the gravies at Gravy. I prefer the grits.

Biscuit with sausage and gravy
I must say that Gravy was a big disappointment for brunch. If you must try it - definitely go for grits.

32 E. 21st Street, between Park Avenue South and Broadway
New York, NY 10010
tel. 212.600.2105
Hours:

Dinner
Monday – Thursday: 5:30pm – 10:00pm
Friday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 11:00PM
Lounge Open Nightly: 5:00pm – 1:00am
Lunch
Monday – Frinday: 12:00pm – 2:30pm
Brunch
Saturday-Sunday: 11:30am – 2:30pm


Gravy on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment